Sunday, October 4, 2015

Searching

“You, God, are my God,
    earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
    my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
    where there is no water.” (Isaiah 63:1)


If I could describe my week in one word, it would be the word “searching.” I’m searching for the right answers in Spanish class, searching for ways to reach out to the neighborhood children, searching for a deeper understanding of God’s word, searching for a mentor, searching for an answer to God’s plan for me next year, searching for even the right words to this blog post.

If y’all could see my prayer journal this week, you would understand how much I really am searching...

September 27: Father, fill me up with Your Holy Spirit today.
September 28: God, help me… pursue Your will for my life.
September 29: I pray for ministry opportunities… please give me direction… show me.
October 1: What do You want me to do? I pray that You would give me direction and wisdom on how to spend every second of my day.
October 2: Show me… Can You please show me a taste of You and Your glory today?
October 3: God, I want to hear You, but are there things I still haven’t given up?

After all that searching for God’s guidance on certain situations, I still haven’t discovered anything or heard His voice. It can be frustrating, but I’m trying to remind myself that God is never late to tell me what’s going on. Why do I want to control something that isn’t mine? Why am I so impatient to wait for His timing? Why do I think that a period of “silence” is a period wasted? I think this morning helped me realize the importance of giving my questions to Him and focusing my mind and heart on His goodness and glory, while trusting that He will guide my steps along the way.

October 4: God, I want to experience Your goodness, but I keep forgetting that Your goodness is [also] displayed through nature and people. I want to see You do something amazing, but forget that life is not all about the things [seen]… let the Spirit fill me up now and every day; let me not have anything hindering me from complete control from the Spirit. Let your goodness shine on me so that I can not only be a light, but also preach Your name wherever I go. Let me boldly share the gospel and recognize when those times are coming.

Let me give my life, my worries, and my insecurities over to Him. Let Him guide me every day, and let me be content with anything that comes my way.

Random facts about Dominican culture:
People scrunch their nose when they don’t understand what you’re saying.

They call rice, beans, and meat “la bandera” (the flag) and say that they haven’t eaten at all if they haven’t had rice and beans, because that is such a staple food here.

Prayers Answered:
We finally have our official Spanish grammar teacher! His name is Julio, and he is super wonderful at what he does. Thank you all for your prayers!

I have also officially chosen my Monday ministry! I will be working in a town called San Jose. Just six years ago, the town did not know about Christ and because of a missionary family, the town is making disciples like crazy! In just that short time span, they now have a church, planted other churches, have a preschool, and a room which they use for medical emergencies. I will be working in the preschool and ministering to teenage girls through a Bible Study and also through building relationships with them.

Prayer Requests:
Please be praying for my ministry in San Jose, as tomorrow (Monday) is the first day that I start working there and figuring out specifically what I will be doing. Also, please be praying for the rest of the GAP students, as they start their ministries as well.


Also, please be praying for wisdom for me to choose what other ministries I would like to pursue. There are plenty of things to do at the SCORE headquarters, and I will be getting a list of needs to pray and see where else God is leading me to serve.