Sunday, January 1, 2012

Genesis 5: Walking With The Lord

While I was in the middle of Genesis 5, I read something that wouln't come out of my mind. The chapter is about the account of Adam's line after they were banished from the Garden of Eden. I was reading about how long the people lived. For example Jared lived for 962 years, Lamech lived 777 years, etc. I came across this one guy: Enoch. He was the father of Methuselah and these next couple of verses shocked me.  
Genesis 5:22-24- "And after he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived 365 years. Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away"

Isn't that so interesting? There was no one else in that chapter that didn't die. Read those verses again. Doesn't that take your breath away? Maybe it's only me. I don't even know what I'm getting at, but that just shocked me and gave me a sense of joy. I have no idea why!

Genesis 6:9- "This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God."

Noah also walked with God. He was able to build the ark when God asked him to and he did an amazing thing for His Creator.


Walking with God sounds like such a calming term. When I think of the words "walking with" I think of two friends walking on the beach. They talk. They learn about each other. They are moving in the same direction. That should be like our relationship with God. We talk, learn about, and move in the same direction as Him by reading the Bible, praying, hearing His voice, and doing his will.

If we walk with him, one day God will take us away and say, "Well done, good and faiful servant." That is what I strive for.