Monday, July 12, 2010

Love

1 John 3:16 - "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."

A lot of people say they love things. "Oh, I love that haircut!" or "I love my dog!". But what does love really mean? Jesus laid down his life, and in the Bible it says that is what love is. It says that "we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers".  That is love. I love this word (haha, get it?): agape. It means a love based on others. We should have agape love. We should have a love based on others fully. That is why it says that "we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers". That would be "others" centered. If you knew someone who layed down their life for you, you would know that they loved you. We should love our neighbors as ourselves and have an agape love for one another. It's not easy. I have a hard time loving others, but we should try and ask our heavenly Father to help us with that.