Sunday, February 28, 2016

Weeks 22 and 23

“Such confidence we have through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant – not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.”
2 Corinthians 3:4-6

It’s so easy for me to rely on my own strength. I get down on myself so easily when something goes wrong. My mind has been out of it recently regarding Spanish and I’ve had a lot on my mind. My heart is heavy, like I’m doing the wrong thing or I will eventually do the wrong thing.

By nature, I am a worry-wart. By nature, I obsess over the wrong things. Yet, in spite of those weaknesses, God still uses me. I am competent through Him and His grace alone. These verses have been so vital to me these past couple of weeks. I really have experienced the power of Scripture memorization, as numerous times I have seen myself relying on my own strength and the Holy Spirit has brought to mind this passage of Scripture. When I felt like I translated terribly, when I realize that I didn’t reach out to that person as well as I could, when I see myself pouring out my issues and worries to people, I can rest in the Grace of God. Although I don´t deserve it, He still uses my weak testimony and translation, He still uses my reaching out to make someone feel welcome, He continues to grow me and let others become a part of that painful, yet fulfilling process. I can be confident that I am competent through Him. No matter where I am and what I do, He can still use me.

If we focus on our sin too much, we become discouraged. If we say ´´I´m not gonna do it,´´ we won´t get too far. If we, rather, focus on Christ and the power that God gives us as believers, we will start to not desire to sin. God´s love is greater than the law. Romans 7:24-25 says ´´What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!´´ For Paul to be able to confidently say those two sentences side-by-side, we definitely can tell how powerful grace truly is.

Praises:
-          My parents enjoyed the time that they were down here in the DR, and it was awesome to show them what I do every day!
-          I was able to go on a host home this past weekend with a beautiful family in the Capital. They treated me like a part of their family, and I was definitely blessed and refreshed that weekend, after being stressed out the week before. God knows what we need, when we need it!

Prayer Requests:
-          One of the GAP students had to return to the States just yesterday because of a bad spider bite. She is getting medical attention right now, but it seems pretty serious; please pray that her treatment and recovery will be fast!
-          From March 1st (This Tuesday) to March 6th we will be going to the North side of the island in the mountains to do some ministry there. Please pray that as the Gospel is shared, that the Holy Spirit will tug on both adults and children’s hearts to follow the Lord.
-          Sickness is going around here in the DR. I’m getting sick now and a lot of other people are sick as well. Please pray that it heals before our mission trip on Tuesday.
-          Also, the level of spiritual warfare has been high here. Please pray that we are guided by the Truth, and that Satan will not get a hold of us.