Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Giving up everything

Luke 18:22-23 - "When Jesus heard this he said to them, 'You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come follow me.' When he heard this he became very sad, because he was a great man of wealth."

This guy was very rich. I know that people in North America are very rich, too. A lot of people in Africa only get about $1-$2 a day. Think about that..... are you thinking? They get way less than us. So we would be considered rich. So if you were that rich person and Jesus asked you to sell everything and give to the poor, would you do it? Maybe I would... only if I knew that he was Jesus... but then maybe I wouldn't. Even though these verses are talking about that one man, I think he is still talking to us like that, too. He still wants us to sell everything and give to the poor. I really don't know if he actually means sell everything or just give a lot. I remember, I think it was in December, God was telling me to sponsor a child. I don't even get $35 a month (which it costs to sponsor a child). But I have given up a lot of money (well, to me) and have sponsored that child. Somehow, God always provides. I think that if you do give to the poor, he will provide.